Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Hawaii - Maui

In Maui, we picked up our rental and drove to Wailea. We again had a condo, this time a beachfront resort.
We decided to walk along the sacred trail along the shore to check out the area.

As our condo had a gas grill we went to the store and bought steak, potatoes and other groceries.
In the morning we walked/ran, took some photos.

We then drove to a dive shop (I had given up on my snorkeling mask) We then went to a snorkeling beach where we encountered four turtles in the water. We then went back to our pool at the resort.

Late afternoon we drove to Lahaina, a tourist town up the coast. We visited the ancient famous Banyan  tree which encompasses a city block. Then up and down Front Street- crowded with tourists. We went into several art galleries, watched the sunset and then looked for a place to eat. We thought we were walking into a Thai place but it was actually an Italian restaurant. We shared a salad and spicy salami pizza. Gelato later.

Up at 5:15 the next morning to get to the beach to board the catamaran at 5:45- about 30 of us going out to snorkel.
They took us first to Molokini, an island/crater where we snorkeled for 40 minutes- was supposed to be 45.

Next they took us to "Turtle Town" where green sea turtles hang out. We saw four.
This again was supposed to be 45 minutes. After 40 we headed to where the boat was but noticed it was out a lot further than we remembered being dropped off. Teresa and I feverishly took off after it but it never seemed like we were getting closer. We finally realized it was moving away form us. We decided our best option was to head back to shore. At that point we were both pretty tired so we flipped onto our backs to make some progress. From that angle we saw a boat going by. We waved for help. They initially waved back. We became more demonstrative and they came over. They picked us up, and as it was a very fast boat it was able to catch the catamaran.
When we got back to our condo we immediately received a call from the company which refunded our $338 and offered another free trip. We declined the extra trip.
We then went to our beach and pool. Teresa swam; I was tired of swimming.

In the morning, after our walk/run, we headed to a beach two down from us. It had better shade from trees and a good snorkeling area which was frequented by scuba divers.
For lunch we left our car and beach chairs there and walked back to our condo where we had steak sandwiches  which polished off our steak.
Back to the beach where we stayed until 5:00. We walked down one end and saw a turtle next to a lava flow. We also spoke to a sand sculptor who created a turtle and a dolphin.

Next morning was a traveling day but the travel was the adventure. First north to the Hana Highway and then east along it. Several stops along the way.
First was a surfing spot where sea turtles came on the beach to rest. A lot of long boards. I talked to a guy whose board was 9'. He said the short boards came out in the winter.

From there it was a series of waterfalls, hikes to waterfalls, hikes through forests, with an occasional scenic outlook over the sea. At one waterfall it was okay to jump from the top. I did a can opener.

We reached Hana by 4:00 and checked into heavenly Hana Paradise - actually a very nice inn. We rode around a while then got Thai food.
In the morning we drove to Red Sand Beach which was like Red Beach on Santorini.

We then drove to Hanakalea State Park, first to the 80' waterfall, then a two mile hike up to the 400' waterfall.

On the drive back we stopped at Hamoa Beach which was quite nice.
Thai food for dinner again.
In the morning we went to Waianapanapa State park and its black beach and sea caves.

Next was a drive to Aunty Sandies to buy four loaves of the famous banana bread.

On to Paia where we walked through the town and bought groceries. We then checked into our B & B. It was then off to Haleakala Park from the west side. We went on three hikes at three different levels of the mountain before going to he summit to see the sunset. It was very cold and very windy.

In the morning we checked out our beach options and decided to head south near where we were in Wailea (it looked far on the map but was only 20 minutes). The day was nice; we found shade twice and spent most of our time speaking with a nice couple form Canada, Shelly and Wendy.

We then went back to the room before heading to Iao Valley to explore the site of one of the major battles of Hawaiian unification.

For dinner we drove to Paia, and at Paia Fish House- not fancy- I had the best seafood pasta I have ever had. Teresa had fish tacos. We then crossed the street for gelato- the best I have had outside of Europe. I had peanut butter and dark chocolate; Teresa had dark chocolate and macadamia java chip.

No comments:

Post a Comment