Thursday, July 20, 2017

Two and a half days in London

Our flight was delayed out of Miami due to a faulty left engine so we arrived in London two hours late. That did mean we could check-in at the Montana Hotel upon arrival.
After Check-in we took the Underground to Westminster and walked along the Parliament Building before taking in the Abbey. Some interesting features but otherwise not up to the hype.

From there we walked to the Churchill War Rooms which we toured. The most interesting part of that was the Churchill Museum.

From there we walked past Downing Street and Whitehall to Trafalgar Square.

 We then made our way to Gordon's Wine Bar where we enjoyed some excellent port with bread and cheese.

We headed back to the room where we cleaned up before an Underground trip and walking trip to the London Eye (Shane's treat) we had tickets in advance but there was a short wait in the queue.

We stopped at South Kensington on the way back to find a place for dinner. We ate at Moninrola's, a recommended Indian restaurant which was very good. I had duck; Shane and Teresa had 2 different kinds of chicken. I had a big beer as I was thirsty. Gelato was close; not great but passable.

Shane expertly guided us back to our hotel.

The next morning we bought some to-go breakfast at the nearby Paul's and I got a coke zero next door before we took the Underground to the Tower of London and then went in as it opened.
Our first stop was the Crown Jewels where there was no wait ( the wait can be up to 2 1/2 hours)

After the Jewels we toured the White Tower and then headed back to the moat to pick up the guided tour. The guide was informative and funny.


After the tour we went to the Bloody Tower, the Beauchamp Tower and the Torture Tower; we then walked along the battlements and then headed out.

We decided to eat sandwiches at a nearby Paul's- which were good.

We then got on City Cruises for a commentary filled boat trip to Greenwich where we first toured the Cutty Sark and then walked to the Observatory. We saw that, the original designation of the Prime Meridian and the old chronometers.


We walked back to Greenwich and stopped at a pub to have some very good cider. I had strawberry -lime; Teresa and Shane had pear.

We then took the boat back to Tower Pier and walked to St. Dustan's which is known for its gardens.

We then walked to a tube station for a trip to Marble Arch; then a walk diagonally through Hyde park and back to the room.

We went to a local recommended pub for dinner. I had fish and chips, Teresa had roasted vegetable quiche and Shane had a lamb rump. It was all very good but Shane won- off to Snowflakes for gelato- better.

In the morning we again picked up Paul's this time on the way to St. Pauls' where we ate in the courtyard.

We took an audio tour of St. Pauls' and then climbed up to the top of the dome, They had replaced the old rickety wooden steps with an iron staircase so the climb was less stressful.

We then took the Underground to the British Museum and spent quite a bit of time there.

We then went to Camden Town, a happening place. We ate at Poppies. Teresa and Shane had fish and chips; I had calamari- all very good.

We then walked through town to the Camden market which was extensive, eclectic and quirky.

Gelato on the way to the Underground Station; then to Leicester Square from which we walked to Piccadilly Circus- Hari Krishnas, a golden girl and of course, Eros.

Back to the room.

We walked to Kensington South and had dinner at an Italian restaurant. I had rigatoni gorgonzola, Teresa had rigatoni Amatraciana and Shane had pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment